Wednesday, June 22, 2011

For My Dad

This post is a bit late and I'm sorry but I hope timing doesn't matter as long as I get the message get out there. As everyone knows this past weekend was Father's Day. And, it was wonderful and exhausting and sad for me all at the same time. 

It was wonderful because it is wonderful -- a day solely focused on celebrating Dads, our own Dads, and the one we're married to. :-) Unlike Moms, I think that Dads may not get the attention that we do, although I know times have changed there are as many dads working in the home as out of the home and the same with moms so that's not why. I guess it sometimes is the relationship with kids that may factor in that tips the scale in a mom's favor sometimes... But anyhow, I think we all agree that dad's are just as important and deserve the attention, celebration, love, and affection just as much as mom's do. It was exhausting because we seemed to be everywhere doing everything all weekend all wonderful but it was non-stop, and it was sad to not be with my family and my Dad on Father's Day.

For me growing up, my Dad worked outside the home for a time, inside the home for a time, went to school for a time, and then back to work outside the home for a time and still is. :-). He had then and still does today an hour commute each way, four days a week. (Wow, that sounds so familiar!! I can totally relate, Pops!) What I remember most about my father and what I am deeply grateful for is two fold; his commitment to my mother and our family, and his strong work-ethic. The odds were against them both when they married so young and the environment he was familiar with growing up wasn't as stable as it could have been but his love for her, me and my siblings, and his commitment to our family and our life was what gave us a wonderful home and family in which to grow up.

I am also grateful for all I learned from him on how he approached school and work, and the idea of success throughout his life. He has worked so hard for all he has in life, and instilled the very same work ethic in all of his children. We are all doing well because of his example and the lessons he taught us. Again, when the odds were against him, he rose to the challenge, went to school learning all he could in a field he loved and pursued his dream. Throughout the years in his professional life when there were challenges, he again rose to the challenge and persevered. This is an amazing attribute that he has, and I am not sure that he recognizes this in himself but he has it and our family knows and loves him for it. He just never gives up, he just doesn't.

My father is a courageous man. As you may know from my previous post, my Dad is fighting stage 4 cancer and has been for the last 3.5 years.  But, this isn't the reason he is courageous, he is courageous for all the reasons above, for all the times in his life where he had to make a choice as to whether or not he was going to let something or someone define him, he didn't let it or let them. He took his own path and made his own success, his own life by his choice and his rules. 

Me and my Dad, one of my favorite photos of us.
 Thank you Dad, for all your lessons and love and for just being who you are. I wouldn't be where I am today, married to who I am married to with two beautiful children and the life I have without you. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment