Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Beautiful Day

I feel as if I have been a little disconnected lately from facebook, my blog, etc..which is actually really nice. I'm not sure if it's because of my new phone and I'm focused on learning all the bells and whistles or wanting to be in the moment more when I'm with my family (even though I am playing A LOT of Words With Friends these days, and am embarrassed to admit that I have 11 games going right now!) but it's time to get back to it... I've been wanting all week to write about our incredible day last Saturday. Not only was it an amazing day weather-wise, it was sunny and hot (yes, I'm not exaggerating--we actually wore shorts and short sleeves without layers all day!) but we had a fun day with the boys in the morning at the Gig Maritime Festival parade and an AMAZING time at the U2360 concert! It was truly a Beautiful Day!


The parade was Colby and Chase's first official parade where we were seated on the side of the road in our fold up camping chairs watching a variety of decorated floats, bands, old cars, fire trucks, police, high school kids, and various non-profits and business as well as one senator promoting their services.... Chase started out a little shy (as always) but perked up after receiving a ton of candy, beads, balls, and most importantly after seeing all the pirates! We were even given an eye patch and a fake mustache that we each took turns wearing for a bit, even Colby :-) What made the parade even more special was that Uncle Mike was in it! He was drumming with the Seattle Seahawks drum core, the Blue Thunder. It was fun to see him in action and although I didn't get any photos of him playing, I did get video! So cool! (I must apologize for the loud screaming of Mike's name throughout the video but we were trying to get his attention!) 




Here are a few photos from our day at the parade...


Colby with Daddy ready for the parade to begin...

Chase's big grin as the "big, huge" trucks go by...

Colby enjoying the parade with his beads...

Chase in the pirate mustache, he wasn't too sure about it but burst out laughing right after I took this picture...

Daddy's turn! Hmmm, he doesn't look that different really! He's a natural pirate!

Yep, it was my turn next.... I don't think it's as flattering on me as the boys....

Colby with the 'stache -- too funny!

ARRGGGH! Chase is a pirate!!!
Now on to our truly amazing night at the U2 concert. Scott, Mike and I made the trek (it's actually only about 35-40 mins.) to Seattle for the concert. Scott surprised me with tickets on Thursday and arranged daycare, too -- thanks so much Miss Rhonda!

I grew up, as most of us have, listening to U2. I'm always amazed at how they can stay relevant and modern having been in the business for more than 20 years but they most certainly have... I would say that I am a U2 fan probably more so than I am a DMB fan which is pretty big for me, I love my DMB! :-) So needless to say, I was really excited to see them not only because of all the media buzz around the 360 stage, the claw, and of course because I would know every single song that they played, but because well, they're U2!!!! It was incredible, seriously. It was way more than a concert but an experience. You know one of those concerts that impacts you, maybe doesn't change your life but it effects you in a big way... I guess I just don't have the right words to explain... 

The Claw
Upon entering the stadium we made our way to field or stage area to check out "the claw,"  it was massive...then, we were approached by ONE staff asking us to sign petitions (on iPads!) for various human rights causes.... It was not a nuisance as you might think but rather inspiring. The fact that Bono had "his people" out advocating, educating, and garnering support throughout the concert for issues such as 3rd world country vaccinations, pre-natal care for moms-to-be in developing countries, and human rights issues for amnesty international again made this more than just a rock concert. I'm not sure how others felt who attended but I felt a part of something bigger... I was not just there to hear fabulous music, to dance and have a great time but I was inspired by this effort to make a difference, take a stand and join together to help/support/fight for those who cannot...


We had fun hanging out with Mike and enjoying the amazing weather... we actually never made it to our seats as we had the $30 seats at the top of the stadium so we found a really great standing spot or rather "dancing" spot with the beautiful Seattle skyline right behind us....
Mike and Scott, sorry didn't have my flash on for this photo -- OOPs!

Scott and me and my favorite city behind us!
After coming on stage, Bono talked about "starting again," and that he was inspired "to start over" by being in Seattle, the amazing weather and our Beautiful Day, and he told the crowd, his fans to do the same... That we can do it, we can be inspired and change. I may be sounding a little cooky but it was really inspiring... And, I was even more inspired when I woke up the next morning, even though I was a little groggy because the kids were up so early and because Scott and I didn't get to bed until 2:30 a.m., because I had a thank you message from Bono and ONE. Too cool.

All the music was fabulous as one would expect but I must highlight the song Beautiful Day (of course). Not only because it is one of my U2 favs but because of their performance on this night... They patched in Gabby Giffords' husband, Astronaut Commander Mark Kelly, from space to introduce the song and to say a special message to her.... It was amazing. Here it is:


Here are some of the photos that I posted on facebook throughout the night but I had to add to this blog... What an amazing, inspirational, awesome show! I'm still glowing from the experience and am inspired. 

360 video screen before the show displaying statistics around the world
Seattle skyline behind us
Here they come...

Bono close-up, I think this was during One

Another Bono close up shot on the video screen
Cool stage shot with video screen

Love this shot of the claw in green

1 comment: