Friday, June 17, 2011

The "C Word"

Cancer has not been something I have thought a lot about until the last few years. Although we have had family members who have had cancer, they have fought the disease and have been in remission for a few years now, and although I know it must have been painful and difficult for them, I did not see or hear of their experience first hand. So, for me it didn't seem so scary or personal until my father was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon cancer in the fall of 2008.

I remember hearing the news; I was at work in our "small conference room" where back then you'd typically go to take a personal call to get a little privacy. The first call I received was from my brother who told me that Dad had had some tests done and a colonoscopy and the results were not good. I remember my mom mentioning that he was going in for one a few weeks prior. He was just over the age of 50 and was just doing "the right thing" and what all the docs recommend by going in and having the routine procedure done.

I immediately hung up the phone with Matt and called my mom. When she answered I knew something was terribly wrong but didn't realize how bad the news would be. She said he had a cancerous tumor in his colon that was fairly large that had to be surgically removed. At that point we didn't know for sure if it had spread but it was likely because of the size of the tumor and location. I could tell by her voice that the news was not good but we did have hope. After further tests, we learned that the cancer cells had spread to his liver and he was officially diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. The good news, if there could possibly be any, was that it had not spread anywhere else -- and most importantly it had not spread to his lungs. 

The news was devastating to our family but honestly it just didn't seem real. He didn't seem sick, he wasn't really... You just don't think when  you go in for a routine procedure that it will turn out to be the worst possible news you could possibly hear... especially about someone you love so much. This was what we were going through as so many families do when a cancer diagnosis is made. The denial, the shock, the sadness, the fear...

"1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will get cancer in their lifetimes"

Cancer is devastating. It is evil, it does not care if you just had a baby, or if you are a baby. It doesn't care if you just got a promotion or bought your first home, or if you're white or black, Asian or Italian. It doesn't care if you just got married, just gradated from college, or just retired and are planning a trip around the world. It doesn't care if you just lost your job, are a single mom and have two small children to take care of, or if you're about to become a grandpa for the first time.

That was my Dad; he was just about to be a Grandpa. I was four months pregnant with Chase, his first grandchild, when we learned this sad news. And, unfortunately I live so far away from my parents, I couldn't be there to see him, hug him, tell him it would be okay like he has told my whole life when I've had a challenge. I couldn't be there to cry with my mom and hold her and tell her we would be strong for him and get through it.

Since his diagnosis my Dad has had painful surgery and undergone the strongest level of cancer treatment his body can tolerate. He has battled his cancer with dignity, strength and a sense of humor. I admire him more than he will ever know. His courage to fight and his commitment to maintaining a normal life and not letting cancer define him is truly inspiring!

He's my inspiration, he has taught me how precious and valuable every moment is and that life is too short to get caught up in the little things that don't matter... Although I sometimes have to re-center myself and remind myself of this when I get too focused on something and stressed about various things that I know don't matter... I know it's true those things really don't matter and I'm so grateful for this life lesson. He has taught me so much more throughout me life not only through his battle with cancer but so many other life lessons but that is a subject for another time...

I know that he will get through this. I know that miracles happen. And, I know that life isn't worth living if you do not have hope and believe in the things that you cannot necessarily touch or feel. These things are what will get you through, and the support of family, friends, and laughter -- A LOT of it!

For my dad and for so many others with cancer, I am participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life this year (last year I was about 8 months prego and definitely not able to do the walking, my how time flies!) Scott and I will be walking together with Team IslandWood tomorrow from 5-7 p.m. If you're reading this and feel moved to make a contribution, I'm so close to my goal of $250 right now but would LOVE to pass it! Please click on the link below to get to my page to make a contribution.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11GW?px=17335984&pg=personal&fr_id=33768

Remember that at some point if we don't stand up to cancer and do something we will all be touched by it either personally or someone we love. I heard the statistic I mentioned above and it literally gave me chills... It numbed me and I felt as if I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything... but I can, and you can! 

We've got to do something, even if it may seem little and not make an impact. As with anything, a lot of "little" things add up and when people gather and stand together amazing things can happen! Please join me and this effort... if you can't make a donation, please say a prayer or maybe do both...?

No comments:

Post a Comment