Friday, April 22, 2011

Ready, Set... Go Green!

Lately, I've been thinking more and more about what it means to "go green." I think we're all at a point now that we recycle glass, plastic, and paper but I'm wondering for me and my family how we can step it up a notch and make a bigger impact. I work at an outdoor education center where we teach kids every day about the natural world and their connection to it. The idea that if kids know about something, they are more likely to care about it, and if they care they are more likely to take action really resonates with me, especially when it comes to our environment.  


Being a relatively new parent, I learn something new everyday when it comes to parenting especially with my three-year old. He is like a little sponge soaking up everything around him, everything my husband and I say and do is processed in his little brain.... a little scary to think about. I remember the days when we could have "adult" conversations and he was oblivious. That is definitely not the case in our household today, Chase is our little "thinker" and he picks up on everything even the words we spell out! So, with that in mind when it comes to our actions, our morals and values, I really want one of the lessons they learn from us to be caring about the environment and understanding that how they live and what they do does make a difference.


As parents it's up to us to model the behavior I want them to learn, right? No pressure there! :-) With this in mind and in honor of earth day, my goal for the rest of the year is to incorporate specific, tangible ways that we can live a "greener" life. I have identified our 'Top 10' list to get us started in addition to the typical recycling we do. These are things we can do or change in our household that will begin our journey to living a more sustainable, earth-friendly, health-conscious life. Some things are 'no brainers' while others will take us out of our comfort zone a bit...Ultimately, my hope is that these 10 things will get us going and things that were once challenges will soon be a part of every day life. And, that my kids will learn the important lesson of taking care of our environment and what they do every day, even the little things make a difference. 


I'm planning to update and elaborate on each of the items on my list as we tackle them in the coming months... the first one is already underway (with a few photos to prove it :-) thanks to our sunny, Sunday afternoon this past weekend. 


McDaniel Family 'Ready, Set Go Green!' Challenge - Top 10 list
1. A little garden for teaching & eating 




2. Get outside everyday!!!
3. Buy less/buy local/buy smart 
4. Our landscaping challenge
5. Compost, compost, compost!
6. The great light bulb exchange
7. Our carbon footprint
8. What is a Library? 
9. Bags & mugs
10. A baby's guide to the 3Rs


Stay tuned for updates on our Going Green challenge... and enjoy one of my fav songs, Chase's too, from Jack Johnson . :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment