Monday, April 25, 2011

A few of my favorite things...

The house is quiet, my boys are in bed. I can hear Colby breathing, fast asleep in the other room, and Scott and Chase are bunking together in Chase's room also asleep. I look around our messy, cluttered family room filled with Easter baskets and toys, old ones and new ones, Chase's "football shoes," Colby's stuffed animals, his new walker, and I realize that in this very moment I am happy. I am overwhelmed with this feeling of contentment, peace for what is and what will be and for all I have, nothing more and nothing less, this feeling is bliss. I know this feeling, I have felt it before, and know I will again, this perfect moment of happiness and feeling of fulfillment. I am lucky to have felt it often in my life and also lucky that I can recognize it and be grateful. 


After a weekend of sunshine (mostly on Saturday), friends and family near and far, time with my husband and children, good food, time to relax and wind down, and feeling really good emotionally and physically, it makes me think of the things in life that I truly love and enjoy. The things that make me happy, big and small. It occurs to me that if I focus on these  "favorite things" that I can find glimpses of the happiness and joy I am feeling right now, all the time whenever I need it most... when I am stressed, sad, upset, or angry, these simple things can take me back to this moment and back to happiness...



Maybe it's just like the song in the Sound of Music..."When the dog bites, when the bees sting, when I'm feeling sad, I just think of a few of my favorite things and then I don't feel sooo bad"... could it be that simple?




A few of those things, my favorite things that come to mind...


When Scott hugs me, he gives the best hugs
The day Chase was born, and the day Colby was born
Sitting in the sunshine listening to the waves crash on shore
Playing baseball with Chase, running with him, catching & throwing the ball
Watching Chase & Colby play together, giggling and looking at each other
Laughing hysterically with my husband
Spending time with my boys
Chase's smile and Colby's toothless grin
Going for a run
Dangley earrings
Point No Point, WA
Fun nights out at Hoyt's
My first apartment on 3rd Ave West in lower Queen Anne in Seattle
Listening to live music
Hiking on any trail in the northwest in the summer, the smell of the trees & flowers
Road trips
Lake Tahoe & San Francisco
The painting of flowers in my bedroom
Chase wearing his superhero cape
Weekends at home with nothing to do
A really great day at work
Daisies, Sunflowers, Dahlias and Tulips
A warm bath with bubbles
Swimming in the ocean
Going to Pt. Defiance Zoo with my family
Turquoise
Non-fat Vanilla Lattes
Building a snowman with my brother
Fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella
A glass of wine, gin & tonics, margaritas
The Crowning Glory of Calla Lilly Ponder -- my favorite book
Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, and Hope Floats
My lucky jeans and my Frye boots
Visits from my Gramma & Grandpa in their RV
Walks around Lake Wailes 
Little league baseball games at Barranco Field in LW
Playing first base
Kalaluia Hike in Kaua'i
Spa time with my mom
My itty, bitty tatoo
Shoe shopping
Baseball games at Safeco field
Ferry rides 
Camping trips
Tasha, Jazzy, Charlie and Molly
Movies & popcorn
Listening to my grandma & grandpa tell stories
Going for walks with Scott & the boys
Concerts at The Gorge
Picking up my mom, dad, sister or brother at the airport for a visit
Planting things, anything... herbs, flowers, 
Listening to raindrops on the rooftop
Sunrise on the ocean
Sunset behind the Olympic Mountains
Rocky beaches and sandy beaches
Walking down the aisle with my dad at my wedding
Road trip to Forks with my sister
My new house, I love this house!
Phone calls from my brother
Camping at Fort Wilderness when I was a kid
Sitting by a campfire, bundled up with hot cider or cocoa
Looking at the stars on a clear night
Laughing with a good friend
Oak trees with moss hanging down
Water skis and snow skis
Photo of Scott & me laughing outside the church at our wedding
Foot rubs
Snow days
Walking off the shuttle at MCO and seeing my mom & dad waiting for me
Seattle, Washington
When Chase says "I love you, Mama" before going to sleep

1 comment:

  1. I've always wished that relaxed, content feeling could be bottled up! This is a start... :-)

    ReplyDelete