Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gratitude

This is something that we often think more about during the holiday season, mostly around Thanksgiving...but lately it has become a feeling, emotion, or rather a state of being that I have been frequently reminded of through my own challenges and for those friends and family members that are experiencing serious challenges of their own... For me, when I think about my the things in my life that are challenging me, it feels as if there are some fairly minor things going on and some not so minor but rather big or serious but, I guess it's all relative, right... Things can always be worse but they are challenges nonetheless and you have to get through them somehow... and for me, being grateful for all I have is my saving grace. Although for some situations, it takes me a while to get to that place but ultimately, I do and can move on. It may take a little pep talk, a lot of breathing, a cry or two and some chocolate but I get there...


Minutes after Colby was born -- August 14, 2010
I am grateful for being a mom, even if I am outnumbered "three to one" being the only woman in the household has it's benefits as well as challenges, a good balance of both I suppose. :-) Since becoming a mom, I've realized that what "they" say is really true... Being a mom is the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life but it is also the most amazing, rewarding experience, too, all at the same time... It really, truly is this hybrid of emotion where you can be completely exhausted, sleep-deprived, hungry, your muscles ache, you haven't showered in a couple days, your husband is coming home late from a meeting and you've almost reached your limit...and then your baby will stop crying look up at you and give you the biggest tooth-less grin you've ever seen. Or, after you sneeze, your two year old will say "Bless You, Mama" and you're right back to that place where all is right with the world. That's all it takes to put things into perspective whether I'm struggling at-home with a personal challenge or something happening in my professional life. My kids, my family are my priority and what truly matters...and the fact that I can become centered and get back to that place of gratitude gets me through...



Chase, my little spit-fire of a son! He truly helps me keep my focus on what matters...


Colby with his bright baby blues--he's truly a joy!
I am grateful for Chase and Colby, that they are growing well and are healthy even though we have had some scary moments to get through with Chase... I am grateful for my husband, Scott, and his kind, sweet heart and all he does and is for our family.  I am grateful for my parents, my mom who taught me to be independent and to care for others and my dad who has always been so strong and courageous and I know and believe that now more than ever. My brother and sister who although I don't see them every day, I know they always have my back and love me unconditionally.


Scott & me Christmas 2005 before we were married...




My parents at Point No Point when they were visiting for Chase's 1st B-day


My sister, Jeanette, who we now refer to as Aunt JJ and brother, Matt, who is of course now, Uncle Matt :-)


I am also grateful for so many other people in my life, my other family members, grandparents and my in-laws are wonderful, and my friends, old and new ones. To quote a line from Santa in The Polar Express, "There is no greater gift than friendship," and I truly believe that... I am grateful for my health. Although my recovery after having Colby hasn't been a piece of cake like with Chase, the weight seems to be coming off a little faster so I guess that's a silver lining :-) I'm grateful for having a warm place to live, food to eat and clean water to drink. I'm grateful for my community, the one in which I live and where I work, and the people that have come into my life from both... I am grateful for the country in which I live despite all the craziness with politics and battles between the left and the right. We are safe and can go to bed at night without fear because of all the men and women who risk their lives for us every day. I thank each and every one of them but first and foremost, my brother, who was among those shipped overseas to the middle east for a tour of duty and returned home safely. And for that, I am truly grateful. 


For these and so many other things, I am grateful. I am grateful for this moment, for the sun to be shining outside my window, for Colby sleeping and Chase playing right next to me all by himself. I know with all this to be grateful for all the other stuff is just details...

1 comment:

  1. Very poignant Tami and so well said. Thank you. We so have so much to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete