Friday, February 18, 2011

The Big Bang Theory

Okay so after my last blog, I thought I would lighten things up a bit... 


For the last 4 months, I've struggled soooo much with whether or not to grow my bangs out. I took the plunge a couple years ago and cut bangs when they started becoming cool/popular again, you know that Katie Holmes look she had a few years ago? So I thought hey, I need a change why not?! Well, I actually really liked my bangs for awhile, I had the cool, long "sweep over to the side" bangs that were cute... but then gradually with each haircut they got shorter, more bangs were cut into my bangs (if that makes any sense) and then right around the time Colby was born, I had this really strange 80s, layered bang look with a blunt bob. Not at all flattering especially when you're about 35lbs overweight and pregnant... Anyway, I was done with that look as soon as Colby was born, I was ready to lose the weight as fast as I could and try to grow these awful, layered, thick bangs out...


 I really was committed to this... Most of my "adult-life" I've had long bangs, they were easy, didn't have to do the trims and struggle with finding the right beautician who can cut my bangs just right... I was completely on board with the whole growing out process... I had the bobby pins/barrettes to pull my bangs out of my face, the headbands, which made me feel like I was ten yrs old, and I was doing it... I would wake-up in the morning get ready and "do" my hair by pinning my bangs out of my face with my headband of choice or barrette and succumb to the fact that my hair and I looked absolutely ridiculous... No matter how much I tried to convince myself that I could do it, told myself to just hang in there, there was absolutely NO WAY I was going to make it... they weren't even to my nose yet!!! I couldn't even tuck them behind my ears!!! It was awful. How in the world could I do this for 6-9 mos?!!!


I can't remember how I did it after high school. And actually at one point after I moved to Seattle, I cut my hair completely off, layered all over, bangs, the whole nine yards. I mean like Gweneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors, the blonde version of her in the movie... And, I was able to withstand growing out that do, so why can't I get through growing out my bangs this time around... lack of patience, having to work in a professional setting, needing a do that is easy and looks good/fashionable/appropriate, etc... 


Anyway, I couldn't do it and I'm not.... the other day I just couldn't take it anymore. I walked into a salon, one that reminded me so much of Dolly Parton's salon in Steel Magnolias, so cool you can still find a beauty salon like that these days with all the Day Spas we have now... Anyway, I sat down, a little nervous, what am I saying?! I was terrified, and "Lottie" cut my bangs right off. The only question she asked me was, "how short?".. she didn't ask me, what style I wanted, did I want the sweep over bangs, did I want to grow just a part of them out or anything at all... She just started cutting and talking about the fact that we might get snow over the next couple days... I was mortified but also relieved... I didn't want to make the decision, I wanted Lottie to just do it, cut these god-awful bangs and get my hair to a place where it looked presentable. I usually freak out about "hair decisions" ... I always tend to want the hairstyle I don't have and couldn't possible have but strive for... I'm the daughter of a hairdresser, so while growing up I had access to haircuts, colors, even perms, yes, perms, whenever I wanted... As I sat in Lottie's chair, the anxiety I was feeling about what was happening soon become relief, the decision was made. I now have bangs and as she swirled me around to look in the mirror, I wasn't in complete horror staring back at my reflection... my bangs looked good. They looked cute, even sort of cool... so I'm okay with the fact that I now have bangs. I am a bang believer, the "bang theory" works for me. :-)


I will, however, continue to grow the rest of my hair out, the short, blunt, bob will not work with my newly found love for my bangs... And, as my grandmother says, a woman can only have long hair through their mid-30s after they hit 40, you have to go short. I'm not sure if I believe that but I don't have much time if that's true. So, I think I can stick it out...Although I have been wearing my hair in ponytails a lot lately....

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I am laughing! I bet so many women, including myself, can relate!

    ReplyDelete